Egyptian cabinet resigns as protests escalate

0
725

Egypt’s civilian cabinet has tonight resigned as protestors clashed with the country’s security services.  The resignation letter was tendered to the nation’s military leaders earlier this evening as violence spread.

Justice Minister Mohamed Abdelaziz al-Juindy said: “I resigned because of the events in Tahrir (Square), because of the political responsibility,”

The resignation came after the third straight day of protests that has seen almost 2000 people injured and scores killed.  Demonstrators have claimed that government forces have used live rounds along with tear-gas and plastic bullets.

Field hospitals have sprung up in the same spot as the revolution 10 months ago and thousands are gathering at the famous Tahrir Square as the standoff between government forces and civilians continues.

As well as Cairo, fighting has reportedly broken out in the cities of Suez and Alexandria.

Protestors are angry at the length of time it has taken for the military to hand over power.  Military chiefs insist they will hand over power when a new government is elected. Parliamentary elections are scheduled to take place on November 28, but there are fears that the new uprising could lead to a postponement.

“Nothing has changed,” said one protester who described the military council as “garbage”.  “Mubarak is still alive and well, and the people are dying.” He added.

Hisham Qasim, a publisher and human rights activist, said that another revolt would harm Egypt’s economy and tourism

“The poverty belt is now the ticking time bomb in Egypt,” he said. “It threatens that what we went through [earlier this year] could be repeated. … I don’t think we’ll survive a second uprising in the span of 10 years.”